Transition to Adulthood Series

Disability Law Colorado has developed a NEW Transition to Adulthood Series designed to provide guidance and clear information about transitioning from high school to life as a young adult. 


The Transition Process - Transitioning from High School as a Student with a Disability

Housing - Where to Live After High School

Employment - Finding the Right Job and Succeeding

Division of Vocational Rehabilitation

Federal law requires the Division of Rehabilitation (DVR) to provide services that are needed to help individuals with disabilities obtain vocational goals and become employed. See whether you qualify for services through the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation.

DVR Disputes

Individuals who have disagreements with DVR about services are entitled to an appeal procedure to resolve those disagreements. Disability Law Colorado’s services range from providing information and technical assistance to directly representing individuals in dispute resolution procedures to resolve disagreements about how DVR services are provided.

Did You Know?:

Did You Know? Transition should be addressed in the students Individual Education Plan (IEP) by their 16th birthday or earlier, if appropriate. It is important that students check their eligibility status of your Social Security Income (SSI) the month of your 18th birthday. Students will need to check their SSI eligibility status regardless of being previously denied or receiving benefits prior to age 18.

The Department of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR) offers short-term employment supports before the age of 21. Long-term employment supports may be available through (LIST AGENCIES WHO ASSIST) when you are age 21 and exited from school. We work to help you to navigate a complex system.

Some of the ways in which we or our partners might be able to assist you for a smooth transition are:

Attending Individual Education Plan (IEP) meetings
Discussing future goals
Explaining what each agency can offer in the areas of Employment
Discussing other resources, e.g., Department of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR)